Thursday, December 4, 2014

Philemon

This week my group had to study and discuss Philemon.  I love this book!!!  It is really the gospel in action.  Paul writes this letter on behalf of Onesimus, who is a servant.  This man has run away from his owner, Philemon and ends up being converted while he is gone.  Paul really loves Onesimus but recognizes that he needs to return to his owner and make things right.  So he sends this letter with Onesimus in hopes that Philemon will forgive him.

Paul tells Philemon (vs 15) that perhaps Onesimus left so that he could become converted.  Paul was trying to give Philemon a different perspective.  My favorite scripture is verse 18 where Paul says that "If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account;"   Isn't this what Christ has done for us?  He has suffered so that we can put our sins on his account and he will pay for them.

One of the ways that I can apply this letter is in my role as Stake Relief President.  One of the underlying things you learn from this letter is how much love Paul has for the saints.  And then how much he wants them to forgive each other.  It made me think about the emails that I write.  What do they say about me?  This is something I want to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment