Saturday, November 29, 2014

Colossians 3:15-21






Unit 3 Choice 7

I am a musician and I love the hymns.  I love to memorize the words of the hymns because I know that those words are very powerful.  In Colossians 3:16 we learn the the singing of hymns is a way to learn.  The only qualification is that we sing with grace in our hearts.  There is no qualification that we sing beautifully or in tune.  One of my favorite hymns:

I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.       
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.

Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me"
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

Music is the way that I express my testimony best.  It is so powerful and can really invite the spirit in to any event.
                                                
Colossians 3:18 tells us that wives should submit to your husbands.  I am sure that this is a very controversial scripture in the world today.  This is what Joseph F Smith said; "Let us begin by saying that a Latter-day Saint husband or father presides over his wife and family in much the same way a bishop, stake president, or elders quorum president presides over the specific group to which he is called. Each acts with counselors and seldom makes decisions without carefully consulting hose whom he calls to assist him."

This scripture has nothing to do with the husband being more important or powerful than the wife but everything to do with order in a home.  This order also is the way of the Lord and will help a family function better.

Verse 19 goes on to tell husbands to love their wives.  Elder Nelson said this: "Honor the special sisters in your lives, brethren. Express your love to your wife, to your mother, and to the sisters. Praise them for their forbearance with you even when you are not at your best. Thank the Lord for these sisters who-like our Heavenly Father-love us not only for what we are but for what we may become. Humbly I thank God for my mother, my sisters, my daughters, granddaughters, and for my special sweetheart, companion, and friend-my wife! ("Our Sacred Duty to Honor Women," Ensign, May 1999, 40)


                                             

It is Thanksgiving time and three words really caught my attention when I first read this assignment.  BE YE THANKFUL was found in verse 3.  I have so much to be thankful for and many blessings that I am not aware of that I need to be thankful for.  I am thankful for all that the Lord blesses me with and that includes that trials and hard parts of life too.  I recently watched the new Mormon message about the refiner's fire.  I had the opportunity to find out more about the family that shared their story in this message and they are truly incredible people.  The Lord is trying to refine us in to the best that we can be and sometimes that means trials for us.  We can get upset about our trials and not become who the Lord knows we can become, or we can let the Lord mold us through our trials and reach our divine potential.  I am thankful for His molding!



No comments:

Post a Comment